Tuesday, August 4, 2009

"It's not a diet, it's a way of life"

I remember years ago when I first started "dieting", I was on quick-fix diet shakes that promised the heaven and earth (but only delivered the vacuum in between) and then moved on to eating plans, which only allowed for 5 provitas a day and fresh air and I even tried the "magic drops in liquid" diet, which didn't taste too good (now that would definitely put you off food). What I've come to realise, and though it's a clichè, that weight loss is not about dieting, its about changing your life. I've been through many changes recently, mostly physical but mentally too. My state of mind has changed, from being too timid and shy in the distant past, to being confident, no matter what shape my body was in. The only way to lose weight, is through sensible eating and being active, dare I say that I even enjoy exercise.

When I embarked on this journey, I was expecting donations through Do it 4 Charity for Foodbank South Africa (thank you to all my donors), but what I received was far more precious than what money could offer. Through my writing, I found a voice; through my 10km races, I found friends; through my struggle, I found perseverence. Its this perseverence that made me hold out for so long and continue with my weight loss. It feels like I've found a way to sync my mind to my body. The more confident my mind is, the more I feel I can achieve physically, the more I achieve physically, the more confident I become.

Today marks the day that I broke the 84kg mark, though I lost only a little weight, I feel like a mountain has been lifted off my back. For weeks and weeks on end, I was drifting between 84kg and 84.9kg.

I'm at 83.7kg and feeling really good about losing almost 7kg. Its taking longer than expected, and I still have a long road to travel, but through all the motivation I receive, I'll find solace.

Next week, I'll be doing things slightly different on my blog, so stay tuned...

W

No comments:

Post a Comment