Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Dance as though no one is watching you...

On Saturday I went out with a couple of girlfriends clubbing, and boy did I shake what my Momma gave me :) With all the dancing I did, I shook off an extra 200g and now I'm at 83.5 kg.

I love dancing, I have a passion for it. A couple of years ago, I would never have stepped out on a dance floor so boldly. I was shy coz I have a lot of wobbly bits and thought people would laugh at me. I created excuses & "obstacles" of why I should not do something that I obviously love doing so much. So, like any other normal person, I was a "closet dancer", I would only dance in front of my mirror at home (uh, maybe thats not so normal).

Come to think of it, there are other instances in my life where I purposefully waited for something to happen before I could really be happy. I would say: "I would be happy if we can move out of Eldos, I would be happy if I had a car, I would be happy if I could finish my degree, I would be happy if I get a promotion." And yes, while all those things did make me happy (and I thank Allah for all my blessings), the ultimate challenge was always "I would be happy if I was skinny". That is the one I would struggle with the most, it kept me behind socially.

Now with my confidence soaring more and more with each passing day, I find joy in dancing, whatever type of dancing it is, I will try it. I've learnt a few formal dances such as Rumba, Salsa, a bit of Vienese Waltz, as well as a little bit of Fox Trot. I am far from perfect but I feel alive when I move! I've tried belly dancing, and I enjoy the wonders of the female form and we even did an "old school" line dance in the club of all places...though I don't think the other chicks appreciated it much that me, Vee and Dee took over the dance floor ;)

So people, why wait? Why do we not follow our hearts and do what makes us happy? I am happy that I am able to walk, run, and dance, despite the shape of my body not being ideal. One of my favourite quotes are: "Dance as though no one is watching you. Love as though you have never been hurt before. Sing as though no one can hear you. Live as though heaven is on earth." by William Purkey.

W

No comments:

Post a Comment